First Presbyterian Church of Mount Clemens was organized on April 10, 1835 when much of Macomb County was still wilderness and before Michigan became a state. The Reverend George Eastman was the organizing pastor, and there were eighteen charter members. By 1841, with over 100 members, the congregation decided to build a church.
The young congregation struggled along, and it was only in 1854, with the coming of Henry Bissell, that First Presbyterian Church began to thrive. By the time of their fiftieth anniversary in 1885, the original frame church was too small for the congregation's needs. Thus in 1892, a cornerstone was laid on the lot directly behind the current structure for a Victorian red brick house of worship. This building served its congregation well through two world wars and the Depression. In 1932, Joseph L. Kennedy was called, and when First Presbyterian celebrated its centennial in 1935, discussions were underway about the feasibility of a more modern facility. Ground was broken on June 20, 1954 at our current location of 168 Cass Avenue.
1955 proved to be a very momentous year. The sudden death of Dr. Kennedy on February 25th shocked the congregation; fortunately the search for a new pastor resulted in the call of Richard H. Williams, who was to serve for almost 24 years. Under his leadership, the church grew rapidly and was able to add a second floor to the church school wing and purchase the adjoining property for additional parking and a manse. When Rev. Williams retired in 1979, Dr. Robert Battles accepted a call and served ten years. At the end of his service, during which First Presbyterian Church celebrated its sesquicentennial, controversy arose over the location of the congregation. With financial assistance from the members of First Presbyterian Church, a small group became Church of the Covenant in Macomb Township.
In October 1996, those who remained in the Mount Clemens church called the Reverend Stanley M. McAnelly III to serve. With the grace of God, First Presbyterian has entered the new century stronger than ever, continuing with thriving church school programs, outstanding music with several choirs, a renovated facility, numerous local mission programs and a growing fellowship with Christ as our Lord and Master.
In August 2002, the church called Dr. Bill and Rev. Roxie Davis to serve as our co-pastors. Several new ventures happened under their inspirational leadership. A portico at our north entrance, a new sound, light and camera system was installed in the sanctuary, our pipe organ was upgraded, and new pews installed. In 2007, the pastors implemented a new Morning Glory Worship service on Sunday morning led by lay Worship Leaders and Sue Peters, the music director for the service. Before their retirement in September 2013, they helped put our dreams of a Family Life Center into action, ending their long and fruitful ministry for the Lord Jesus Christ.
FPC welcomed Rev. Peggy Huston as our pastor in November 2013. We have a bright future with Pastor Peggy leading us in preaching, teaching, mission, discipleship, worship and administration. We are confident that God will continue to bless this church, and that we will continue to seek and to serve our Lord and Savior as the body of Christ.